Thursday, September 10, 2009

Reflection


Experiencing personal growth is such and amazing thing an it makes you want to pat yourself on the back. I realized today that it was my 10th year of playing professional basketball. I have had an career that many can only dream of. I grew up in what many consider the mecca of basketball N.Y.C, where I won 4 state championships at Christ the King.I decided to attend the University of Tennessee and play for legendary Coach Pat Summitt. At Tennessee I helped take the game of womens basketball to another level and became a household name and to many a crossover star. I left Tennessee a kid from Astoria Housing Projects who just loved to play ball and hated all the attention that came with success.

Now fast forward ten years I've been called and enigma, crazy, all sorts of rude things. I've battled with depression and nearly ended my own life. I've spent nights crying all alone asking God for help. I've walked away from the game I love so much twice. No one knew why not even my own mother.

I decided to take time away from the spotlight here in the U.S and go to Europe which serves as a hideaway for me. In two seasons away I traveled all over with friends and made up for lost times with family and faced my illness head on. I finally realized I couldn't do it alone anymore and thank God I did.


This season has been a great one for me. I allowed the leader I have always been to shine bright and have done an amazing job. Guess it's true adversity builds character and I'm so proud of the woman I've become and wouldn't change anything. I feel so naked in a sense and comfortable about sharing my story knowing it gives someone else strength.

"I tore myself away from the safe comfort of certainties through my love for the truth, and truth rewarded me" Simone de Beauvoir


10 comments:

  1. I've followed you since High School. Like many, I was concerned about you during your tough times and I am truly proud for all you've done for yourself, the game and Tennessee basketball but, more importantly, for who you've become and what you've come to represent.

    Tough times don't last, but tough people do. Hang in there, lady. Take care, onwards and upwards. See you on twitter.

    Sha-Ron

    PS - I had a good time at your NYC birthday party a few years back. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! Thank you for creating a blog and giving fans like myself a look into your life. I'm glad you're back playing ball again, you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for that deep post.I have always thought u were an awesome player. Once I bought your book and read it, I truly looked up to you.I would like to applaud you for facing your problems. When you retired, i was at a lost for words, but that day I saw you were coming back and signing with the Dream, I leaped for joy. Thanks for being a role model. may God continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mique,

    You are unbelievable. I have really enjoyed getting to know you. I have honestly seen you grow so much from the time you came to LA until now! You are more of an amazing person than you are a player (and the is pretty hard to be considering what you have done for the game). Congrats on becoming, knowing, and realizing who YOU are! The only one that needs to accept that is you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had such a great success playing basketball,especially your college days,going to the ncaa finals 4 times,and I'd thought you'd overcome anything that was going on in your life,and keep playing on.
    You are playing on now and that smile on your face is back,you are a true champion,and I truly admire you for that. Herve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mique,
    I love reading your tweets and all the stories about you about depression. I believe so many people out there can relate to it and look up to you for it. I've payed attention to you since you went to Tennessee and still seem like one of the nicest WNBA players they have. Honestly, you could be my BFF anyday! LOL and thats actually a HUGE complament because I dont trust females at all. Would you mind one day going on twitter and going on live ustream to answer fans questions? (thats only if you have a webcam) Thanks girl! your the best!
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chamique,


    First, let me say rest in peace to your teammate Christina.

    This was an awesome blog. As far as all the names you have been called, ignorance does that to people. They see what they want to see and say what they want to say because they don't or choose not to understand.

    You did a brave thing by not only facing your depression but talking about it. Think of how many people you helped to save and helped to face their depression.

    As I said on twitter, I'm happy you are back in the league. Your name is and always will be synomous with the greats in the game.

    P.s. I'm jkayet59 on twitter also

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mique,

    I just want to say that you are the best, and you are my all time fave basketball player, men and women. And also I want to say that, that was a good first blog.

    I hope your knee heals fast cause we need you in the playoffs!!!

    P.S. Please follow me :)
    Love ya,
    Lil Smooth Jr

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on letting the winner in you shine through the darkness. I've been a fan since Slam magazine did a piece on you back in high school. You ladies did a great job in Atlanta and I can't wait to see what the future holds for the franchise. Best of luck!

    Except when you play the Chicago Sky, I gotta pull for the home team LOL :-D

    ReplyDelete